Saturday, February 02, 2008

Verdi's La Traviata

I've been wanting to watch an opera locally.









La Traviata, which literally means 'The Woman who Strayed', is a tale a a beautiful young courtesan who gives up her pursuit of money and frivolity for the love of a man. Sadly, however, she discovers that love has come too late for her.

taken from SLO's brochure

More information here

Nah.. didn't manage to catch it :(. I forgot all about it..

Anyway, to console myself, I went hunting for La Traviata's clips on YouTube. Found quite a couple of clips.

Here's 'The Drinking Song'. I'm sure many people will find this song familiar. The Opera is in Italian btw.


In this drinking song, Alfredo (the male lead) openly declares his admiration for Violetta (the female lead) in this witty drinking song.

The original version of 'Drinking Song' (with english subtitles)


Here's a another song from the opera - Sempre Libera which means 'always free' (sang by violetta). Mind the high notes. =)

Think her acting skill's kinda good.



Here's the modern version. Though I think the voice isn't as good.. But anyway, no harm watching :).

No comments: