Just came back from a dinner cum discussion..
Then on my way back home, I was thinking about the many 'words of wisdom' and encouragements that my mentors back in NYP gave me.
Did some reflections about my new uni stint.
What makes a true scientist? (Pardon me if this sounds boring to ya)
I think the nature of Singapore's education system have 'programmed' us such that we pursue things only for the sake of grades. Or rather, to pursue our materialistic goals (being accomplished or rich or famous), people just resort to various means of doing well and fight to be the cream of the crop. Sometime back, during the first day of FYP, I became so concerned over grades that my supervisor 'told me off'. He told me that I shouldn't be so concern about modes of assessment but instead, the objectives of the projects and such. This is, one serious point to note.
Learning things for the sake of achieving goals. Though this, may sound very realistic - but rather, I felt that a true scientist is one who is always eager to learn about new stuffs, not being afraid to venture into areas that have not been covered before and not being conservative. I really admire their attitude towards learning, and their never-ending curiosity. People who make the efforts in reading up and understanding more about in-depth topics.
This is something that aspiring scientist should work on. Yes, I'm one of the guilty ones who have a long way to go. And I really do admire their attitude in learning. Well.. I should not be complaining so much of physics and mathematics but learn how to appreciate and embrace them though I haven't touched them for more than 3 years. Eliminate procrastination!
I hope to work on this flaw of mine. Yes, I am often faced with situations when I just can't formulate questions in my head. I'll always just sit through lectures, absorb information and scribble notes. Any questions? 'No what? I understood the lectures.' Full-stop. I always wonder how those people crowding around professors could come up with such questions which I couldn't think of. How does one train yourself in thinking critically/out of the box? Read more? Study more?
Alright, I've got a hectic week ahead of me. I gotta need hell lots of effective time management and self-discipline. 3 tests, 2 reports, 2 essays. Good luck and have fun!
*Maybe I should do the same in signing an anti-facebook 'contract' like how my little aunt does it in her school
No comments:
Post a Comment