Tuesday, September 09, 2008

rising cortisol levels

.. just like how I felt during the days of immuno poster presentation

FYP began yesterday. Not on a very nice note.

A series of unfortunate events? I seriously hope that things will go on more smoothly soon.

No. I know stem cell research is currently the hot field. But it isn't as easy as it seems.

Just the first day, and almost all of us have a stack of journal papers to digest. JOURNAL PAPERS. It's just that part and parcel of researchers I guess. Can't escape. I previously had four that's emailed to me during the holidays. Now I've four more.

So conclusion after two days? My mind is bombarded by the tons and tons of information that needs to be sorted SOON. Even as I type now, I can feel that intense fear. Pardon me if I'm emitting the "Stress" Aura to you. Can't help it.

'I don't know whether to laugh or cry'

Imagine.. coming all the way to school in the early morning. But all you do for almost the entire day is reading journal papers while waiting patiently for your supervisor who had to leave earlier than you due to some other urgent matters?

I can't say that Dr Mark is a strict supervisor. Perhaps this shouldn't be the conclusion I should arrive at either yet. He's respectable for having the experience in working with stem cells and published papers before and I admire that. And if to push aside all complaints and stand in his shoes, we should be more tolerant and just make do with the current situation while hoping that his mother's condition will improve soon.

Sigh.. just suay lor.. Bo Bian mah. I also feel bad if I were to bargain about the reporting time and stress him out. Tolerance and perseverance plays crucial part now! To think on the brighter side, I get to work with something that's rare.. Gambette!

All I hope now is that the risk assessment form will be completed and approved soon for us to begin lab trainings.

A researcher's got to have perseverance, tolerance, patience and finally be really good at troubleshooting. FYP really serves as a platform for our initial exposures to life of a researcher. Now I really do understand why research can take such a long time.. MR even say that it's hard to complete my project within such a short time of less than 3 months? Really hope that I can still get to meddle with embryonic stem cells and not just stick at cloning promoters. Can't wait to see those contracting cardiac cells under microscope!

Sigh.. can anyone tell me how to be more inquisitive? I just can't understand why certain people have tons of questions to ask after a lecture while I can't seem to think of any to ask.

Results out next mon 12 midnight. I don't want to worry about it.. but it seems that the topic just can't be avoided during meal conversations. Wanted to get dist dearly for certain modules.. but lady luck's not on my side sometimes? Ultimate goal: to either maintain or improve GPA. Must!!

Good luck for all FYP, IAP and OIPP students!

No comments: